Entertainment

Sam Fender apologizes for calling Johnny Depp a ‘hero’ as he deletes a selfie with the actor


Sam Fender has apologized for calling Johnny Depp a “hero” and deleted a selfie with the actor he shared on Instagram on Wednesday.

The singer, 28, had enjoyed a pint with the Hollywood star, 58, with guitarist Jeff Beck, 77, at The Bridge Tavern before the latter couple performed a concert in his native Newcastle.

With the snap before the Golden Globe winner won his libel suit against his ex-wife Amber Heard, 36, fans were quick to criticize Sam.

‘It was a poor choice of words and timing’: Sam Fender apologized for calling Johnny Depp a ‘hero’ while deleting a selfie taken of them before his trial victory (Sam pictured in March 2022 )

Following the backlash, the Seventeen Going Under hitmaker wrote on the social media platform on Saturday: “I want to apologise.”

“I was invited to briefly meet a music legend and actor who starred in almost every movie I saw growing up.

‘I went there – we chatted about music and without thinking I took a picture and posted it as it was quite surreal.

“The use of the word ‘hero’ was intended to refer to their careers, but in the context of the trial he was seriously misinformed.

Gang: The singer, 28, had enjoyed a pint with the Hollywood star, 58, with guitarist Jeff Beck, 77, at The Bridge Tavern before the latter couple performed a concert in Newcastle

Gang: The singer, 28, had enjoyed a pint with the Hollywood star, 58, with guitarist Jeff Beck, 77, at The Bridge Tavern before the latter couple performed a concert in Newcastle

“I now realize that was a poor choice of words and timing, but that’s irrelevant. It was naive and disrespectful to those who relate to any of the issues highlighted in the lawsuit. and the larger issues it poses. I didn’t think about it and I should have.

Sam added: “I really can’t say anything other than that it was misjudged and I was ignorant in regards to the trials as a whole, and thoughtless as to what my post might entail.”

‘I fully realize that and I’m deeply sorry about that. Sam.’

Just hours before Johnny was awarded more than $10 million after winning his defamation lawsuit, confirming his position that his ex-wife Amber fabricated claims that she was abused by the Hollywood star before and during their brief marriage.

Oh my goodness: Following the backlash, the Seventeen Going Under hitmaker wrote on the social media platform on Saturday:

Oh my goodness: Following the backlash, the Seventeen Going Under hitmaker wrote on the social media platform on Saturday: ‘I want to apologise’

Speaking to Chronicle Live on Wednesday, the manager of The Bridge Tavern said Johnny was ‘amazing’ and was first given private space at the establishment when he arrived around 5pm – three hours before the announcement of the verdict.

“He was the most charming man I have ever seen in my life,” Janine Latchford told the newspaper. My assistant is very pregnant and he was telling her how beautiful it was to be a parent. He was really down to earth, he was adorable.

‘He was amazing. He gave me a hug and I told him I loved him pretty much as soon as I saw him! He liked the artwork and he was asking about the Tyne Bridge. He said he had never been to Newcastle before.

“He had fish and chips for dinner,” she added, while another punter said he had a soft drink to go with his meal.

Happier times: Johnny won the libel suit after suing his ex-wife Amber Heard for $50million over a 2018 article she wrote that alleged she had been the victim of domestic violence (pictured by 2015)

Happier times: Johnny won the libel suit after suing his ex-wife Amber Heard for $50million over a 2018 article she wrote that alleged she had been the victim of domestic violence (pictured by 2015)

Johnny joined Beck at the Royal Albert Hall in west London on Monday and Tuesday night after surprising fans with an appearance at Sheffield Town Hall on Sunday.

He is said to have watched the conclusion of the trial via video link in the UK.

In a statement after Wednesday’s verdict, Johnny said: “Six years ago my life, the lives of my children, the lives of my loved ones, and also the lives of people who for many, many years have supported and believed in me have been changed forever.

“And six years later, the jury gave me back my life. I’m really humble.

Case: Amber (pictured in court as the verdict was read), countersued for $100million, claiming Depp's attorney Adam Waldman made defamatory statements calling her a

Case: Amber (pictured in court as the verdict was read), countersued for $100million, claiming Depp’s attorney Adam Waldman made defamatory statements calling her a ‘hoax’

After less than three days of deliberation, his ex-wife Amber was awarded $2 million in compensatory damages out of the $100 million she was seeking in her countersuit against her ex-husband. She received no punitive damages dollar.

With feverish support on social media and in the courtroom, Johnny believes he now has a “golden opportunity” to relaunch his career.

Later this year he plans to release an album with Beck written by the pair at Beck’s home in Sussex where Johnny spent months at a time. He will also embark on the production of arthouse films.

Johnny has remained largely silent since the UK court verdict, but told journalist Jason Solomons: “This is a golden opportunity to do exactly what I’ve wanted to do for years, which is to do the films or the cinema that i want, to stay away from limitations, not to allow unwitting fingers to get into the cake, i.e. to make movies that don’t need to be 300 million movies of dollars.

His new career will see him start from almost zero financially. In court in the UK in 2020, it was revealed he had earned up to £400m in his career.

He was apparently spent on goods, drugs, drink and whims such as shooting the ashes of his hero, writer Hunter S Thompson, into space which cost him £4m .

He now hopes to pick up the thread of his movie career, which came to an end after he lost his libel action in London and agreed to withdraw from the Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts: Dumbledore’s Secrets.

Although the jury awarded him $15 million, the judge reduced the $5 million punitive damages award to the maximum of $350,000 in Virginia, reducing his total to $10,350,000 – minus the $2 million dollars he was ordered to pay to Amber. In total, he walks away with $8.35 million in damages.

Talented: Johnny joined Beck at the Royal Albert Hall in west London on Monday and Tuesday night after surprising fans with an appearance at Sheffield Town Hall on Sunday

Talented: Johnny joined Beck at the Royal Albert Hall in west London on Monday and Tuesday night after surprising fans with an appearance at Sheffield Town Hall on Sunday

.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.