A man who nearly died after fainting onto railway tracks as a train was approaching in Sydney was arrested after a stay in hospital.
The 57-year-old fell onto the tracks at Redfern Station on April 1, with harrowing footage captured by a passenger on the platform.
Staff jumped onto the tracks to try and pull the man to safety, but he had been knocked unconscious in the fall and could not be moved.
In the video, the person filming zooms to a display screen showing the time the train is due to arrive: a mere two minutes.
Train staff can be also seen frantically running to alert the train driver to stop.
As the train rounds the bend into the station, a guard desperately waves red flags at the driver while a chorus of screams can be heard from the commuters at the platform.
The 57-year-old man was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital with injuries to his head and wrist.
He was questioned by police in hospital and then arrested for breaching an apprehended violence order.
Transport Minister David Elliot said he was delighted in the work from train staff in saving the man’s life.
But he scolded the man who fell onto the tracks.
“It was quite clear he was unsteady on his feet and that really isn’t an excuse,” he said.
“If you are going to be using public transport … there is a risk associated with being around this sort of heavy machinery.”
Mr Elliot said there would be plenty of places around the world where staff would not have put their lives at risk to save the man.
“When I saw that video I was horrified that someone would be so blatantly ignorant about the situation they are in,” Mr Elliot said.
“I also was extremely proud of those staff members who immediately responded.”