Sports

Gary Anderson joins calls for World Darts Championship postponement after positive tests


Amid a rise in Covid-19 cases at the 2022 PDC World Darts Championship, two-time winner Gary Anderson has joined those calling for the tournament to be ‘done away with’.

This year’s premier darts competition has been thrown into disarray after Michael van Gerwen, Dave Chisnall and Vincent van der Voort were each forced to withdraw after testing positive for the coronavirus.

That led to defending champion Gerwyn Price —who became the first player to book his place in the quarter-finals on Wednesday—insisting the Championship “needs to be postponed” via his Instagram account.

And Anderson—who edged Ian White 4-3 on Wednesday to set up a last-16 clash with Rob Cross —has piled on the pressure suggesting organisers should call time on this tournament.

“It doesn’t really help anybody,” Anderson said in regards to Van Gerwen’s forced departure.



Gary Anderson won the PDC World Darts Championship in 2015 and 2016, as well as finishing runner-up on three occasions
Gary Anderson won the PDC World Darts Championship in 2015 and 2016, as well as finishing runner-up on three occasions

“I think it’s hard. . .to me, it’s not right.

“You’ve got players losing money, got players gaining money, and it’s gonna be a kind of shambles for the next few months in the rankings I think.

“What can you do, shut us down? Go by everyone in the first round who was fit, winners get paid, losers get paid, call it a day. Do away with it this year.”

When asked if that’s the outcome he would like to see, the Scot replied: “You have to. . .well I don’t know, it’s hard.

“Everyone’s trying to be (careful) but every day there’s somebody else getting it so I don’t know. It’s one of these things.”

Anderson at least ended on a cheerful note as he joked: “But if I miss my holiday. . .god help yous.”

Do you think the 2022 PDC World Darts Championship should be called off? Let us know in the comments section.



Defending PDC world champion Gerwyn Price
Defending PDC world champion Gerwyn Price has called for this year’s competition to be postponed

In his Instagram outburst, Price insisted he would “rather play the best to be the best,” and Anderson has taken a similarly empathetic view towards those who have been forced out.

Part of Van Gerwen’s frustration came because he’d felt he’d done ‘everything in his possibility’ to abide by the organisers’ Covid-19 measures and was still forced out of contention.

His third-round exit gave No. 30 seed Chris Dobey a bye to the last 16 where he’ll face Luke Humphries, who also advanced thanks to Chisnall’s Covid withdrawal.



Michael Van Gerwen is among the highest-profile players to be forced out of the PDC World Darts Championship
Michael Van Gerwen is among the highest-profile players to be forced out of the PDC World Darts Championship

Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) chairman Eddie Hearn said earlier in December that the World Championships would proceed without fans if government guidance demanded it.

“If anything happens, firstly we will cry a little bit,” he said. “And then we will lick our wounds and go to work.

“We are all used to it now as a business. We will always adhere to the government rules.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.