By A. James for Daily Mail Australia
Kid Laroi has apologized to fans after pulling out of his highly anticipated show in Melbourne at the last minute because he was too ill to perform.
The 18-year-old superstar rapper withdrew from the show at Rod Laver Arena, forty minutes after the scheduled start time, leaving the huge crowd devastated.
Footage from the concert showed an announcer coming out and delivering the bad news to the bewildered crowd.
Downer: The Kid Laroi (pictured) disappointed thousands of fans on Friday when he canceled his Melbourne concert at the last minute because he was too ill to perform Pictured: The Kid Laroi performing in Perth, May 20 at the RAC Arena
A humble Laroi, whose real name is Charlton Kenneth Jeffrey Howard, posted an apology to fans on his social media in an attempt to explain the dramatic cancellation.
“Melbourne, to say I’m sorry is an understatement,” he began.
The Instagram post then recounted how Laroi woke up on Friday feeling sick.
Apology: The Kid Laroi issued an apology to fans after the canceled Melbourne concert on Friday
After testing negative twice for COVID, the artist performed a sound check on the site.
His condition deteriorated so badly, Laroi said, that doctors gave him an IV.
“As the night wore on, he [the illness] got worse,” Laroi said in his post, “to the point that it was difficult for me to get up and go to the bathroom.
COVID scare: The singer woke up on the morning of the Friday show feeling sick and took two COVID tests – both came back negative and as the day went on his condition worsened. Pictured: The Kid Laroi performing in Perth as part of their first world tour
Attendees were frustrated that the singer waited until the show started to cancel the performance.
“Went to wait two hours for him to come out to cancel. Horrible and embarrassing,” one fan tweeted.
“Such a disappointment as it was my daughter’s 16th birthday. Saved up to drop her friend off, spend a night on the town. Now she has a lifelong disappointing memory, instead of a good night,’ another said.
‘Can you also refund the flights and accommodation I paid for. Just shit to cancel after he was supposed to come,’ someone else asked on the show.
Devastated: The 18-year-old superstar rapper pulled out of the show at Rod Laver Arena, forty minutes after the scheduled start time, leaving the huge crowd devastated. Pictured: A fan responds after hearing Kid Laroi was unable to take the stage on Friday night
Upset: Footage from the concert showed an announcer came out and broke the bad news to the bewildered crowd
Fans are still hoping his Saturday concert at the Rod Laver Arena will take place before Kid Laroi leaves for Queensland for his scheduled show in Brisbane on Tuesday.
Laroi has already performed in Sydney and Adelaide, as part of his world tour, and he has promised to return.
“This is my very first tour and I absolutely hate having to do this, especially at the last minute because it’s not fair to you guys,” he said in his post.
“I would be lying to you if I told you I could come and play for you.”
The Kid Laroi has yet to announce any new tour dates.
Stay tuned: The Kid Laroi has yet to announce any new tour dates
The pop superstar flew to Australia with his girlfriend, TikTok star Katarina Deme last month.
He kicked off the Australian leg of his End of the World tour in Sydney on May 26 and is now embarking on a series of stadium shows.
These concerts mark the first time he has performed for a local crowd since opening for his late mentor Juice WRLD in 2019.
Superstar: Laroi flew to Australia with his model girlfriend Katarina Deme (left) last week